9 September 2019

The Observant Participant (Hybrid)

“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.” (Simone Weil)

“Attention, taken to its highest degree, is the same thing as prayer. It presupposes faith and love.”
(Simone Weil)

How do I get at the meaning of things? How do I make sense of how people experience the world? How do I make sense of my own experience of the world? Is it possible to do rigorous research into human experience without de-humanizing human experience? What can I learn from the scholarly study of human experience that will inform the ways in which I give attention to human experience in my own professional practices? In this course we will consider these kinds of questions. Together we will explore phenomenologically-informed human science research practices that have been shaped by these kinds of concerns. We will experiment with our own small-scale research projects, which we will bring into juxtaposition with the exploration of meaning in extracts from texts in the phenomenological philosophical tradition. Doing this course together, we will become more observant participants and strengthen our capacity as reflective practitioners. While the focus of this course is on applying research craft to professional practice, the course is also a solid introduction to graduate level qualitative research and key perspectives from phenomenological philosophy.

ICSDH 132501/232501 F19
Dr. Gideon Strauss
Hybrid (Online/In-Person)
Dates TBA

(MWS, MA)

Syllabus